Scientists Find a Better Way To Treat Gout

Gout Swollen Feet

The authors of the study believe that a drug called benzbromarone may be an improved way to treat gout.

Should doctors rethink the standard gout treatment?

Gout is caused by the accumulation of urate crystals in the joints, and xanthine oxidase inhibitors such as febuxostat are a staple treatment to help lower blood urate levels in afflicted people. However, a new clinical trial reported in Arthritis & Rheumatology suggests that benzbromarone, a less popular medication, may be better in low dosages.

In the prospective single-center, open-labeled trial, 196 men with gout and poor uric acid excretion were randomized to receive either low-dose benzbromarone (LDBen) or low-dose febuxostat (LDFeb) for 12 weeks.

Compared to the LDFeb group, more individuals in the LDBen group met the blood urate objective of 6 mg/dL (32% vs 61%). There was no major difference in side effects across the groups.

“The results suggest that low dosing of benzbromarone may warrant stronger consideration as a safe and effective therapy to achieve serum urate target in gout,” the authors wrote.

Reference: “Superiority of low-dose benzbromarone to low-dose febuxostat in a prospective, randomized comparative effectiveness trial in gout patients with renal uric acid underexcretion” by Fei Yan MD, Xiaomei Xue MD, Jie Lu MD, Nicola Dalbeth MD, Han Qi MS, Qing Yu MS, Can Wang MD, Mingshu Sun MD, Lingling Cui Ph.D., Zhen Liu Ph.D., Yuwei He Ph.D., Xuan Yuan MD, Ying Chen MD, Xiaoyu Cheng MD, Lidan Ma MD, Hailong Li Ph.D., Aichang Ji Ph.D., Shuhui Hu MS, Zijing Ran MS, Robert Terkeltaub Ph.D. and Changgui Li MD, 7 July 2022, Arthritis & Rheumatology.
DOI: 10.1002/art.42266

59 Comments on "Scientists Find a Better Way To Treat Gout"

1. Charles G. Shaver | August 4, 2022 at 8:59 am | Reply

As a senior lay American male first diagnosed with mostly asymptomatic gout in 1981 I know that a lot of cases of painful, crippling gout and pseudogout could be easily prevented. Simply put, the current gout pandemic is consistent with all of the other chronic disease pandemics, including depression, obesity, mass shootings and suicides to name a few, since the widespread use of added ‘cultured free’ MSG as an alleged ‘flavor enhancer’ beginning in 1980. New drugs to treat gout may be beneficial to some, short-term, but long-term we need purer, safer food products for all.

• I agree. People have to be taught what foods increase uric acid and those that increase oxalic acid, as well as the need to keep well hydrated. I’m surprised that nothing was mentioned about allopurinol, a long time standby to decrease uric acid production. There are also meds to alkalinize the urine to decrease change of kidney stones.

2. Not available in the USA.

3. I had gout and then I tried Apple cider vinegar caplets or gummies that I bought at Costco. Just had my blood work done and my uric acid is in brick acid is in the normal range.

4. There is no money in tge cure, always “sick maintenance”.

5. I used to get gout so bad I was basically crippled for up to 2 weeks each flare up. I take the tart cherry pills from the Vitamin Shoppe. I haven’t had a single flare up in almost 25 years

6. Drink Tart cherry juice. Works just as well and you’re not taking another pill!!!

7. Charles Alexander | August 8, 2022 at 10:30 am | Reply

Benzbromarone is not approved for use in the USA.

8. William Diehm | August 8, 2022 at 10:47 am | Reply

As a long sufferer of gout I found plenty of water and tart cherry juice has worked wond r s for me no flare ups in over 6 years stay off medication if at possible .

9. No, MSG does not cause gout and depression…

• Charles G. Shaver | August 8, 2022 at 12:10 pm | Reply

John, I never had a high serum level of uric acid until age thirty-seven after the FDA approved the expanded use of added MSG in 1980. It took almost thirty years but to my surprise, then, along with standard serum testing for calcium being unreliable, long-term chronic subclinical non-IgE-mediated allergy reactions aggravated with added MSG resulted in a serious calcium deficiency by 2009, which included a temporary lack of ambition, insomnia, bad moods and short term memory problems, as well as chronic fatigue, muscle weakness and lack of stamina. Statistically, added ‘cultured free’ (as opposed to ‘natural protein bound’) MSG can be deadly dangerous. And, calcium and magnesium are known to be ‘natural tranquilizers,’ with added MSG causing the body to deny and/or rob the bones, nerves and teeth of calcium to try to maintain the blood at an optimal pH; slightly alkaline. I’m still living it but don’t take my word for any of this; investigate it, thoroughly. Check out the epidemics of depression and postpartum depression back to 1980.

10. It’s not available in the US as a treatment option.

11. Robert Mazzella | August 8, 2022 at 12:23 pm | Reply

It used to be the case that only rich people had gout—now, it seems, anyone and everyone can get it.

12. Tart Cherry antitoxin juice or tart cherry OTC capsules from CVS are much less expensive and work 2x faster because you won’t need a Dr’s visit

13. Bill Richards | August 8, 2022 at 1:00 pm | Reply

Dexamethasone works everytime for gout attacks. It is cheap simple and it works within a couple of hours.

14. Uric acid. Not urate.

15. My son’s gout Dr told us about this drug. Question is; where or how can we get it? My son is only 27, and was diagnosed when he was 19. We have tried everything. Even took him to Mayo for treatment. He has tophi throughout his body. It’s heartbreaking. Please help if you can, so that our son might be helped. Thank you

16. No mention of Allopurinol?

17. I got goat back in 1905. Worst fever ever. Doctor had to gimme cow to revesrse the bowels. Be safes my higs

18. 90% of gout cases from my experience can be cured with proper hydration. Often it’s folks who don’t take en enough pure water to allow the uric acid to be absorbed. No study, just years of seeing it. Cut out a diet soda and replace it with two glasses of water. Amazing the difference.

19. Harry HillJR. | August 8, 2022 at 4:10 pm | Reply

Best thing to use is tart cherry juice from the health store.Buy a bottle and drink it straight in a couple days. Gout will be gone.

20. His gout foot looks better than the normal one lol

21. Thomas C mccleary | August 8, 2022 at 4:39 pm | Reply

For a guy that has gad gout three or four times, and of course I am no doctor, common denominator is always alcohol. Add that with red meats and turkey, I seem to get gout during the holidays. I’ve learned my lesson! Stop the alcohol consumption unless you’re eating shellfish day in and day out you should be fine with no more symptoms. High purine foods along with alcohol is a big no no!

22. Your an idiot to think gout is comparable too suicide

23. I’ve taken Naproxen when I feel gout attack. It has helped tremendously.

24. Marcus Aurelius | August 8, 2022 at 5:49 pm | Reply

More drugs to enslave us to big pharma. Eat healthy; go natural!

25. As a gout sufferer along with my brother and son, we have not had attacks as long as we take a quality tart cherry supplement. Tart cherry juice works well too but the supplements don’t add more sugar to the diet. There are federal studies that back it up.

26. Adrian Witteman. | August 8, 2022 at 7:08 pm | Reply

Drinking baking soda water works for me…don’t know why…it just works!

27. Jewell Rollen | August 8, 2022 at 7:13 pm | Reply

Colchacine….cures and treats gout

28. I stopped having gout symptoms when I began using fresh lemon juice daily with water or iced tea. Maybe it was the added water but maybe the lemon juice. I average a half a lemon daily and I’ve not had gout in over 2 years. When I reduce my lemon intake I can feel the beginnings of stiffness in my foot which goes away when I get back on schedule. Give it a try!

29. Meredith McCain | August 8, 2022 at 10:52 pm | Reply

I have been prescribed Allopurinol for gout for years right here in the USA.

30. Colchicine 0.6 Is the ONLY life changing medicine for gout and it sucks most doctors don’t even know what it is. I swear by this! My husband has gout and our son was born with it.

31. Allopurinol is the one for me I’m a heavy set fellow and with a proper diet I haven’t had a flare up for quiet some time I also cut out alcohol in my life so I don’t eat steaks and red meats every day and when I do have a flare up I take coltrazine that really helps, tart cherry juice never worked for me in a flare up even when I drank the whole thing. For me a flare up in my feet feels like my foot is in a fire and your smashing it with a sledge hammer it’s very painful I cannot walk. Sleep. I can do nothing but ride it out. I hope this helps.

32. dr peter glidden cured my gout with urtica urens. gone forever

33. Just found out my Mom has Hout I feel so bad for her she cant walk or stand on her feet Im praying she gets some relief Wish I had the funds to acquiped her house for her health needs Praying I hit the lottery.

34. John F Bramfeld | August 9, 2022 at 7:52 am | Reply

It’s odd all the people who have cured themselves of gout but can’t hit the proper keys to spell it.

35. If i do a shot of apple cider vinegar daily, or drink a little pure black cherry juice, i never get it. Once i stop that, it comes raging back. Proper hydration is important as well.

36. My gout attacks started out of nowhere at age 25-6. I didn’t know what gout was other than an “old people disease” that you hear about in documentaries about kings and unflattering movie characters. I was running 3 miles a day and kept my weight around 180-190 lbs, but my body stopped breaking down uric acid as efficiently as it should.
    I was already drinking two liters of water per day, minimum. I tried cherry juice, baking soda, apple cider vinegar mixed with water (tasted so bad that I ALMOST preferred having gout over drinking the vinegar-almost). Nothing helped. I was having severe attacks at least once every 3 months, including several trips to the emergency room to have my knee drained because I couldn’t bend or put weight on it at all.
    I’ve been prescribed colchicine and allopurinol. I even spent several months taking those evil steroids…daily.
    Over time, I had several tophi removed from ears, elbows and knees.
    Fast forward 30 years…I was finally prescribed Uloric (febuxostat). I wanted to punch my doctor yet hug him at the same time. The hug? Because the drug worked. Immediately! The attacks went from several per year to zero per year. The punch? Because this drug had been available for several years before it was prescribed, yet he waited until now to prescribe it??
    I completely understand why people don’t want to take pharmaceuticals. I’m right there with you. And I I’m certainly NOT interested in touting big pharma-or any other facet of the U.S. healthcare system. It’s great if the natural remedies work for you. I wish they worked for me. Taking the drug was a quality of life decision for me. No more limping around the office with people asking me what happened. No more thinking “okay I haven’t had an attack in 3 weeks, it’s probably going to happen when an important client is in town or whenever I have any upcoming events that someone says are too important to miss.” No more ruined vacations.
    I don’t regret the pharmaceutical decision at all. So do what’s best for you. If the lifestyle changes and natural remedies don’t help, maybe you could talk to your doctor about febuxostat or this new option, when available.
    People get gout for different reasons and there’s tons of good information on the causes in the above comments. But when you’re in so much pain from a sheet touching your foot-or even the breeze from the ceiling fan, you don’t care about what caused the attack, you just want to know how to fix it!!!
    (Sorry…. I never dreamed I would spew the longest comment re: this article but I know how miserable life can be with chronic gout.)

37. The BEST way to treat diseases like this would be to stay far away from the things that cause it & keep high quality (Not Expensive) things in your diet.

I have a family member that suffers bad with it, always complaining in pain & just broken down.

When the suggestion of changing the diet is brought up that’s never the issue. The ignorance of people is so sad in the age of information.

You can learn & do so much to improve overall health in the matter of minuets still people keep their old traditions in tact & wonder why there’s pain & suffering. DONT PLAY YOURSELF! PAY YOURSELF with an health overhaul…

💪🏽🤎

38. A couple forks of raw saurekraut every morning sets the stage for good digestive processes to occurr that takes care of uric acid.

39. If you suffer from gout, ask your Doc about probenicid. Started taking it a year ago, and my uric acid is below 3 for the first time in almost 30 years. I take it in conjunction with uloric.

40. Pascual Rodriguez | August 9, 2022 at 1:20 pm | Reply

I have extremely bad gout to where my feet, ankles,knee,elbows, wrists,hands have tophi build up and now it’s the kidneys so I understand exactly what your all feeling and experiencing God Bless I’m still alive.

41. aple cidar venigar werks wel but my pc speling getz worzst

42. I had gout for 14yrs and i take aleeve and that helps me plus I do my celery juicing

43. I had gout for 14yrs and i take aleeve and that helps me plus I do my celery juicing really recommend that

44. I drink black cherry juice and it takes care of my gout I drink 3 to 4 ounces twice a week for a month and pain and swelling goes down right away

45. David Baltzer | August 9, 2022 at 8:10 pm | Reply

I find that cherries in any form do the trick very quickly and completely.

46. Great. Another study a middle-age white men. Because nobody else matters who gets sick. Perfect.

47. Oh just like the “ black life’s matter “ huh VEE…

48. Nowhere did they racially profile the study group, just a gender so they could have a baseline for comparison. Since the scientists and drs.didn’t racially profile, maybe you shouldn’t, either.

49. Ronnie Bullard | August 11, 2022 at 1:25 am | Reply

The only thing that works for me and so far every person I suggested this miracle cure too is BROCCOLI big bowl of BROCCOLI. in 4hrs throbbing pain from swelling stops. By the next morning u should have very little discomfort..medication did nothing for me other than prolong the suffering an huge dent in my wallet..recommend trying it unless you are allergic to BROCCOLI.(DISCLAIMER)I AM NOT A DOCTOR!!!.I just use to suffer from gout but not anymore

50. My father in law had gout and drinking a bottle of Monavie helped him get rid of it for 5 months. It must have been all the fruit acids but acai berry juice is the main ingredient

51. Hi, I have tried to find the best way to relieve gout, since it is one of the most painful diseases, my Dad suffered from it for 5 years and the cris of pain were horrible, after trying so much and finding relief we gave ourselves She realizes that nutrition is very important, I found some natural pills, their name is GOUT OUT and combined with URIC ACID it is the perfect combination, helping people with this problem is always on my mind because I saw the pain that my Dad was in and you are pills helped him a lot, he didn’t have a pain crisis again and he didn’t have any more inflammation, I hope it helps you and if you need more information let me know, have a good day! God bless and heal you

52. There’s no mention of allopurinol because it is a cheap generic that’s been around for decades, is safe to use and it works.

53. I used to take viox back in the day til they took it off the market because it was killing people. But let me tell you this, in 1 minute or less u could feel it breaking the crystals up.

54. Arnold Feltersnatch | August 12, 2022 at 4:41 am | Reply

I also have suffered from Low IQ, obesity, chronic restless leg syndrome amount other unwanted reactions to MSG since around 1980. Those tempting yet painful buffets are what seems to be the trigger. All solid evidence in science knows this. Absolutely not fake news. Try European mountain lion urine on your cold salsa to get instant relief. It really has helped me.

55. I had gout found that Indomethacin was excellent for pain. I later found out that in my case & other family members, Not taking medications that contain HCTZ (hydrochlorthiazide) was the cause of the Gout flare ups. I hope this info is helpful 🙂

56. Colchicine use over an extended period of time can cause MDS type 2, and eventually can cause leukemia. My mother died from it. Stay away from colchicine at all costs!!

57. Stress triggered my gout flare ups. When I quit driving big diesel trucks I quit getting gout.